Author: Harry Herget

America’s New Majority Party

America’s (New) Majority Partyb We’re down to one political party: The Majority American Party. Before Biden became president, the American electorate was divided into three major voting blocs:  Democrats/31%; Republicans/25% and Independents/41%. That adds up to 97% of the electorate leaving fringe groups like the Green Party and Libertarians to carve up the remaining 3%. Hyper-partisanship has crippled Congress for decades and left American voters with no effective representation.  They find themselves in the modern equivalent of the 1768 dilemma, “Taxation Without Representation.”  It was tantamount to tyranny then (and now) and ushered in the American Revolutionary War. Until Biden’s election, the House of Representatives would pass bills that would die in the Senate resulting in zero legislation being enacted for American citizens. Net result:  Zero representation for American tax payers. Biden changed the core nature of American politics by subordinating political parties to the overarching will of the American people. He doesn’t craft policy that complies with Democratic or Republican dogma; instead, he focuses on the needs of all Americans absent political orthodoxy. “What’s best for America”, and “What’s best for Americans”, are the twin themes that imbue Biden‘s policy doctrine. The American Rescue Plan, the Infrastructure Plan and the American Families Plan total almost $6 Trillion in cost. These are trying times and require programs that will try our souls and our budgets. ALL of these plans...

Read More

Old Lies And New Realities

New Realities It took four painful years to elevate a lie to the stature of a truth.  It’s a remarkable makeover that has leveled the dialogue between those who argue using alternative facts and those who use actual facts. This is worse than a false equivalence; it’s dangerous. Potentially explosive.  It devalues the truth at the expense of worthless untruths. Truth has boundaries.  Lies don’t. Truth is verifiable.  Lies aren’t. Truth is naked. Lies aren’t. Truth is disciplined.  Lies aren’t. Truth is balanced.  Lies aren’t. Truth is defined.  Lies aren’t. Lies are just that, lies. When counterfeit money, art, documents, jewelry, and the like are assigned values equal to the genuine articles, the world has gone awry; slipped off its axis. Lies drive economic policy that equates awarding billions of tax breaks to billionaires with a few thousand dollars for average wage earners. Lies support an immigration policy that equates robbing young mothers of their infant children with sound, humane treatment. Lies reinforce the argument that extorting the president of a foreign government for political gain is nothing more than a harmless, “perfect” conversation. Lies equate efforts to incite insurrection against our democratic government with one’s First Amendment right of free speech.  These are “Big” lies. The dignity of truth should never be associated with the wickedness of lies.  Wake up America. Truth is immutable. Harry Herget iPal …...

Read More

Cowards ‘R Us

Cowards ‘R Us   We’re living at a time when racial justice and white supremacy are competing for the soul of America. This competition can be deadly as evidenced by the wanton murder of unarmed blacks by trigger-happy, cowardly white police officers.  It’s also come to light when Republicans (yes, it’s provenance is political) argue against empaneling an independent commission to investigate the January 6, 2021, insurrection to overthrow our democracy. They insist the probe should be muddied up with investigations of BLM and Antifa who played NO role in trying to destroy American democracy.  Not only are they making a false equivalency, but their motives are disingenuous. Treason against America is a capital offense. Its willing and enthusiastic participants are subject to the death penalty…each and every one; moreover, their defenders, apologists and revisionists deserve equally the verdict as well as the penalty. What are Republicans afraid of discovering?  What do they need to keep under wraps, away from the national dialogue, before the 2022 elections? First, they’re in the drivers seat when it comes to their chances to retake a majority in the House. They have the advantage of newly enacted voter suppression laws, favorably gerrymandered congressional districts and off-election, historical precedent. What they don’t need is to confront the truth about January 6, and the likelihood it will upset their apple-cart. They fear… …The former presidents’ role...

Read More

Change Only Skin Deep

Change Only Skin Deep On the outside, I look like an aerodynamic, state-of-the-art dream car befitting our technological age, but, inside, I’m running on a manual transmission, disc brakes, and windows I crank down in the summer for “air conditioning” and crank up in the winter to keep the cold out. I am, in this awkward metaphor, a clear and honest representation of how far America’s soul has advanced with respect to race relations and racial justice. We appear sincere and talk a good game.  We enhance our spurious facade with physical gestures of racial support — raised fists, signs proclaiming BLM, we march to protest racial injustice — yes, these all video well for news coverage and documentaries. But, down deep, America has budged only slightly since July 2, 1964. Blacks still die at the hands of white Supremacists; not at the end of a rope but from the barrel of a police semi-automatic or the lethal pressure of a malevolent knee to the neck.  The three-fifths compromise of 1787 created an “acceptable” metric for counting enslaved peoples to determine a states “total” population.  This imperfect number was used to determine the number of seats a state was allocated in the House of Representatives and how much it would pay in taxes. Newly enacted voter suppression laws have exactly the same effect 134 years later and were inspired...

Read More

America’s Majority Party

America’s Majority Party We’re down to one political party: The American Majority Party. Before Biden became president, the American electorate was divided into three major voting blocs:  Democrats/31%; Republicans/25% and Independents/41%.  That adds up to 97% of the electorate leaving fringe groups like the Green Party and Libertarians to carve up the remaining 3%. Hyper-partisanship has crippled Congress for decades and left American voters with no effective representation.  They find themselves in the modern equivalent of the 1768 dilemma, “Taxation Without Representation.”  It was tantamount to tyranny and ushered in the Revolutionary War. Until Biden’s election, the House of Representatives would pass bills that would die in the Senate resulting in zero legislation for voters. Net result:  Zero representation. Biden changed the core nature of American politics by subordinating political parties to the overarching will of the people. He doesn’t craft policy based on Democratic or Republican dogma. He focuses on the needs of all Americans absent political orthodoxy. “What’s best for America”, and “What’s best for Americans”, are the twin themes that imbue Biden‘s policy strategy. The American Rescue Plan, the Infrastructure Plan and the American Families Plan total almost $6 Trillion in cost and ALL are opposed by ALL Republican legislators. Importantly, ALL are supported by a significant majority of Americans. The Majority American Party is behind these plans and it’s emerging as the political force of...

Read More